These stuffed zucchini boats are filled with a hearty sausage mixture, then topped with lots of cheese and baked to perfection. An effortless reduced carb meal alternative that the entire loved ones will enjoy!
There are so several various approaches to consume zucchini, I usually serve side dishes this kind of as parmesan zucchini and zucchini gratin. But my favorite way to make zucchini is to things it and serve it as a main course.
Stuffed zucchini boats is a classic dish that never ever goes out of fashion. It’s an specially great decision during the summer season when everyone’s gardens are overflowing with squash. What I really like about this dish is that it’s easy to customize the flavors to your liking and is naturally minimal in carbs!
How do you make stuffed zucchini boats?
This recipe commences with zucchini, which are hollowed out, seasoned, then placed in a baking dish. A easy meat sauce is produced with Italian sausage, marinara sauce, garlic and onions. The sauce gets piled into the zucchini shells, then every thing is topped with cheese and baked till gooey and browned.
Suggestions for stuffed zucchini boats
- You can use mild or hot Italian sausage, pork or turkey sausage, or even ground beef for this recipe.
- Use your favourite brand of marinara sauce. I usually use Newman’s Own or Classico.
- You can also make this recipe with yellow squash, or even hollowed out tiny eggplants!
- Although I typically use mozzarella cheese in this dish, other fantastic options would be parmesan, fontina or provolone.
Can you freeze zucchini boats?
I don’t recommend freezing zucchini boats, simply due to the fact the zucchini will be very mushy on thawing. That becoming explained, you can absolutely freeze the meat filling for these boats for up to 2 months. Basically thaw the filling, spoon it into fresh zucchinis, then add cheese and bake.
Stuffed Zucchini Boat Variations
This is an Italian design stuffed zucchini, but there are so several other wonderful methods to fill your squash!
- Mexican: Make a filling with one lb ground beef, 16 ounces tomato sauce, 4 ounces diced green chiles, three/four cup black beans and 1/two cup corn, then leading with cheddar cheese and bake.
- Asian: Make the filling for my chicken lettuce wraps, spoon it into the zucchini, then bake.
- Vegetarian: Make a filling with sauteed onion, 2 cups cooked grains this kind of as rice or quinoa, one diced red bell pepper, salt, pepper, 1 one/two cups shredded cheese, and fresh herbs.
Is zucchini wholesome?
Zucchini is packed with nutrients this kind of as folate, Vitamin B6, potassium, manganese, Vitamin C and and Vitamin K. Zucchini is minimal calorie, low in carbohydrates and higher in fiber. Zucchini also protects towards irritation, aids in digestion, improves thyroid perform and is useful for your eyes.
This recipe is a excellent way to get some veggies into your kids. You can even assemble your zucchini boats earlier in the day, then retailer them covered in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them. I make this recipe all the time and it often gets rave reviews!