Recipe by: Misty
- Pie Filling:
- 12 eggs
- two cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 pounds ricotta cheese
- 1/four cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, or to taste (optional)
- Sweet Crust:
- four cups all-goal flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- one cup white sugar
- one/2 cup shortening, chilled
- 1 tablespoon shortening, chilled
- four eggs, lightly beaten
- one teaspoon vanilla extract
- one tablespoon milk (optional)
- Add all components to listing
- Add all components to checklist
- Beat the twelve eggs, two cups sugar and vanilla extract collectively in a huge bowl. Stir in the ricotta cheese and the chocolate chips, if using (see Cook’s Note). Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and one cup sugar collectively. Minimize in one/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening right up until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine in 4 beaten eggs and one teaspoon vanilla extract. Divide dough into 4 balls, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease two deep-dish pie plates.
- Roll out two of the balls to match into the pie pans. Do not make the crust also thick, as it will increase in the course of cooking. Do not flute the edges of the dough. Roll out the other 2 balls of dough and minimize every single into 8 narrow strips for the leading of the crust. (Alternately, you can use cookie cutters and area the cutouts on the best of the pies.)
- Pour the ricotta filling evenly into the pie crusts. Leading every single pie with eight narrow strips of dough or cookie reduce-outs. Brush prime of pie with milk for shine, if wanted. Location foil on the edge of crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to thirty minutes take away foil. Rotate pies on the rack so they will bake evenly. Carry on to bake right up until a knife inserted in the center of each and every pie comes out clean, 25 to thirty minutes much more. Cool fully on wire racks. Refrigerate until serving.