Photograph by Chelsea Kyle, meals styling by Rhoda Boone
The intense, salty, bitter flavor of redeye gravy can be polarizing. We’ve added butter and a pinch of sugar right here to round out the flavors while even now trying to keep the integrity of this iconic Southern condiment intact. Biscuits and/or grits are a fantastic accompaniment to this dish.
Include to assortment
Include to menu
- six ounces nation ham, sliced one/four-inch thick
- one tablespoon unsalted butter, plus much more for ham if required
- one/2 cup powerful black coffee
- one/two cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Heat a large skillet (ideally cast-iron) above medium-large. Cook ham, including one/2 Tbsp. butter if ham is lean to aid the browning approach, till browned and excess fat has rendered, 2–3 minutes per s >
- Calories 231
- Carbohydrates 2 g(one%)
- Fat 13 g(twenty%)
- Protein 25 g(50%)
- Saturated Excess fat six g(31%)
- Sodium 2312 mg(96%)
- Polyunsaturated Excess fat one g
- Monounsaturated Excess fat five g
- Cholesterol 75 mg(25%)
Menus & Tags
Depart a Review
As a Southern California native who has always lived somewhere in the “West,” I somehow produced it to my 40s without ever getting Redeye Gravy. What a pity, as well, since it was Scrumptious! (And so very effortless). We served this for dinner with stuffing and a vegetable – wonderful way to use leftover ham.
By no means throughout my 55 many years or so of consuming country ham have I ever had red eye gravy with chicken broth. Sugar added can be white or brown. Coffee and sugar can be extra either for the duration of or soon after cooking the ham. Possibly your recipe will taste okay, but I won’t be making an attempt it. I serve nation ham at least 30 instances per yr in one vogue or an additional.