- two cups dried wonderful northern beans
- five cups chicken broth
- three cups water
- one meaty ham bone or two smoked ham hocks
- two to 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/four teaspoon rubbed sage
- one/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- three celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Area beans in a Dutch oven add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil boil for two minutes. Remove from the heat cover and allow soak for 1-4 hrs or until finally beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan add broth, three cups water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings deliver to a boil. Minimize heat cover and simmer for one-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a huge skillet, saute the onions, carrots and celery in oil right up until tender add to soup. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until beans are tender.
- Take away ham bone amazing slightly. Skim body fat from soup. Get rid of meat from bone and minimize into chunks return to soup. Discard bone.
Just manufactured my 1st batch and it is really great. It really is definitely not my mother’s bean soup. I did not even have to include ketchup.
All round a excellent recipe, but if you aren’t a fan of thyme, it isn’t so fantastic. I would recommend dialing that and the savory back. I additional a potato to soak up the thyme flavor and threw it out when the soup was accomplished. Much much better taste then.
This is an wonderful recipe. I stick to the instructions however, I do use leftover ham that is lower into bite size chunks. No want to precook veggies, every thing cooks up wonderful in my dutch oven in an hour.I enjoy to put some rice in my bowl ( or cornbread) very first. I have manufactured this 3 occasions and I will make it a lot of more instances. My husband loves it as well. Next time, I will consider it with chicken and wild rice.
I created this today it was so effortless and very tasty.. will be employing this recipe once again for positive
This recipe is fantastic. Basic to put together,and has a great taste.
This is a superb bean soup. I followed the instructions as presented. I utilised lower sodium, reduced excess fat chicken broth and only 2 Tablespoons of the chicken granules. I did really feel it was a bit salty, however. Up coming time I will omit the granules. It is constantly excellent to don’t forget that celery also is high in sodium, so that, with the ham and broth, adds up. Certainly will make this once more and once more. May just have to serve ham far more frequently just for the leftovers. Can not wait for the leftovers of soup tonight.
This is a excellent recipe. I made it today. I did not use ham hocks, I had some leftover ham that i lower up and added to the soup. It is scrumptious!!
Totally the greatest soup I`ve ever created.
bardot1900, you could want to omit the chicken boulion. perhaps add no-salt chicken stock alternatively.
Wonderful taste. I did not saute veggies first, every thing was excellent.