Apples and cinnamon are a heavenly duo in this recipe for Traditional Apple Turnovers. These crispy treats are best for breakfast or dessert!
Do you have a classic Fall dessert that you just ADORE? I have a few, but one of them is absolutely these Apple Turnovers!
Increasing up, my Mom would make these as a special treat when we went back to college. It remains a nostalgic, fall favorite to this day.
Who doesn’t love Apple Turnovers? I imply a hand-held dessert, manufactured up sweet, warm apples and cinnamon baked in pastry – what’s not to like?
- Using a mixture of brown sugar & granulated offers the perfect volume of sweetness.
- The cinnamon & nutmeg marry completely with the apples in the filling.
- To conserve time, puff pastry is used for the crust.
The greatest element is that these Apple Turnovers are truly straightforward to make. Children will love assisting make this simple cinnamon-spiced dessert, so get them to join in!
Whether or not you like them sweet or tart when baking with apples be certain to choose the correct selection. Appear for an apple with a crisp bite so they stay company when cooked.
Some Great Examples:
- Golden Tasty (my favourite)
- Granny Smith
Start off by peeling, coring, and chopping the apples. When Apple peels are cooked, they tend to get chewy. It’s usually ideal to peel the apples initial.
Apples brown speedily, so be confident to coat them with lemon juice.
The very best way to thaw frozen puff pastry is in the fridge, overnight.
Frozen puff pastry is a convenient selection, but it does demand a small preparing considering that it can’t be employed frozen. It needs to be thawed before it can be baked and undertaking it overnight in the fridge best technique.
This allows the puff pastry to become pliable without having above-softening.
Prepare B If you forgot to get your pastry out of the freezer and require to use it really quickly, all hope is not misplaced!
You can thaw it at area temperature. The essential is to use it when it’s just prepared to be rolled, but just before it softens so significantly that the dough is limp and the butter is melting.
Add the apples to a bowl and coat with orange juice.
Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch.
Include melted butter and stir to mix.
Following, roll every sheet of puff pastry to a 12-inch by 12-inch (30cm by 30cm) square. Cut every sheet into four squares and make certain they remain chilled until finally you are prepared to use them.
Brush the edges of every square with the egg wash.
Neatly area one 3 cup of the apple mixture on half of the square.
Fold the pastry diagonally more than the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork.
Area on a pan and brush every one particular with the egg wash.
Bake for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed.
Allow to awesome 5 minutes and then drizzle with the cream cheese icing.
These are best served warm, but they’re fantastic leftover too!
Take pleasure in every single final bite!
- Apples brown quickly, so be positive to coat them with lemon juice whilst you prepare the dough.
- Make a little slit on the leading of each and every turnover to maintain them from bursting the seam.
- Be mindful not to overfill – Overfilling the turnovers could trigger them to break open.
- Don’t overwork the pastry. Puff pastry is delicate if you more than-roll or use too considerably force, get rid of some of the flakiness and it may not puff up when baked.
- To easily trim the pastry, use a sharp paring knife or pizza cutter.
- If the dough gets as well soft to handle, just place it in the fridge for a handful of minutes and it will firm back up.
- Enable the apple turnovers to cool somewhat ahead of serving – The filling will be hot.
How do you retailer Apple Turnovers?
- To store these apple turnovers when iced, location in an airtight container and refrigerate. If you don’t program to serve them all at after, it’s greatest to leave the icing off leftover so they can be reheated.
- To reheat these apple turnovers as soon as cooled, bake at 400F for five-7 minutes.
Can Apple Turnovers be frozen?
To securely freeze Apple Turnovers that are manufactured with previously frozen puff pastry, they must be baked prior to freezing.
If you strategy to freeze this recipe, bake for 15 minutes alternatively of 20. Enable to amazing entirely (don’t ice them), keep in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
When ready to use, bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes until finally crispy and brown. Ice in accordance to the recipe and serve.
By no means Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren’s Kitchen mailing checklist & get the newest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!